What is the problem?
The new Conservative Council of Southampton have pledged to take out the Bus Lanes on Bitterne Road West and to take out the Bedford Place Active Travel Zone. Please now let them know your support for these, as well as Low traffic Neighbourhoods and School Streets.
They are saying that they want to #GetSouthamptonMoving but we are concerned that this will apply to car drivers at the expense of the many residents who do not have access to a private vehicle and who need safe and convenient alternatives.
Here are some actions that you can take:
- Write to the new leader of Southampton City Council: email@example.com
- Write to the councillors in your ward: Find your councillor
- Write to or CC the Echo firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t know what to write?
If you are stuck to know what to write, it is important to be polite and it is helpful to be specific and to draw upon your own experiences travelling within Southampton. Here are some things which might give you inspiration:
- Read our open letter to the new leader of SCC
- Take a look at the links which we have shared on our Facebook page
- Watch this video showing the difference that has been made in Paris in just a few years.
- Watch this video which explains why building more lanes for cars doesn’t reduce congestion
Petition the council
If you’re not happy writing a letter or email, you could lend your support by signing one of these petitions to the council:
- Labour’s petition to stop the cancellation of Bedford Place pedestrianisation zone
- The Liberal Democrat’s petition to keep Bedford Place pedestrianised
- Now closed, but for information: Shop Local Southampton’s petition
- Our petition to make Woodmill a safer route
Thank you for your support!